Communication is important between model and photographer. I have been thinking about the photographer's perspective and here are some tips for photographers working with models. Many models who I speak to are aspiring and shooting their first shoots for their comp card and portfolio, here are 5 tips to keep in mind.
1. Communicate. Models should know how to move, pose naturally, but also communicate with the model while shooting and tell her how she is doing, does something look wrong? Is something not working? Is something working well?
2. Know something about makeup and styling. I love it when a photographer tells me I need more powder or to touch up something, I don't take offence, I like knowing the photographer is paying attention to detail. Let her know if that certain color of her shirt is making her look red or if it is not the best color on her. Try out the outfits before she gets her makeup done, so she can easily change if the color isn't working.
3. Talk to the model before the shoot and ask her what she is looking for, discuss how you can collaborate, discuss the shoot plans before the day of the shoot. Models like to be prepared and know what to expect.
4. Do a couple test-shots and show it to the model, models like to see themselves and know how they look while they are shooting; it helps them know what to adjust, change, and what to not do, to make the shot look best.
5. Don't let her freak out or get stressed about a pimple or a scar, tell her it isn't a big deal, those are easy to touch up.