Friday, June 5, 2009
TOP 5 HAIR CARE TIPS FOR SUMMER
I spokes to stylist Bill Schrlau about summer hair care and he shared some great tips with me that I want you to know about. This is what he suggests:
Summer is near and we all want to make sure that our hair looks it’s best. There is no replacement for maintaining the hair year round, but just in case you let it go, NOW you need to get prepared and make sure your hair is ready for summer. Here are our 5 tips for getting and keeping healthy hair through the summer 2009.
1. Keep in “SHINY”
To keep your hair in great condition and shiny through the summer;
• Use the proper shampoo & daily conditioners for the hair. Check with your hairstylist what works best for your hair. Giving your hair the proper care from the start will set you up for success through the summer, when it has been exposed to the summer elements. My favorite shampoo & conditioners for summer care are from Unite Eurotherapy. For fine hair- Be Free Shampoo & conditioner, for medium textures- Go 365 shampoo & conditioner. For thick course hair- Vitaliza Shampoo & Revitaliza conditioner.
• Rinse with cold water. Cold water closes the cuticle and enhances shine. Hot water causes the cuticle of the hair to swell and create a dulling effect on the hair.
• Add a leave in conditioner to your hairstyling regimen. Start with a leave in conditioner, 7 second conditioner from Unite is amazing and perfect for summer care. Take it with you to the beach and apply through the day as needed.
• Let your hair air dry before styling with a blowdryer. This will cut down on the exposure to heated tools. Start with clean hair, towel dry by dabbing the moisture from the hair, apply styling products, spend time getting ready in the am. Then return to finish your hair after it has had time to air dry a bit. Use a medium to low heat on the blowdryer, yes it will take a bit longer to dry but you will protect the condition of the hair and help maintain shine through the summer months.
• Seek the advice of your hairstylist. They can help you with your specific needs.
Making sure your hair is in great condition is not done alone by conditioners.
• Rinse the hair after coming out of the ocean or pool water, both can have a drying effect on the hair.
• Protect the hair with a hat. The only sure way to protect the hair from the elements.
• Occassionally leave a little conditioner behind. Do not rinse the conditioner completely out of the ends of the hair.
• Conditioning treatments- once a week. Apply conditioner to the hair, wrap a warm towel around the conditioned hair and leave for 20 minutes.
3. Give your hair a break!
• Put the blowdryer & flat iron down! Yes, set them aside if at all possible, or use them a little less. The more heat exposure the hair endures the less shine your hair will have.
• Rely on shampooing in the evening and dry styling in the morning.
• Braid the hair or twist it into a ponytail, let dry and let down, into a wearable texture style.
• Learn how to put your hair up, into a bun or twist.
4. REGULAR HAIRCUTS
• Haircut- yes I know it is scary but scary is the thought of having a head of hair that has been destroyed by neglect and the split ends are so bad that shaving the head will not help bring it back to a healthy state. Most of us need to cut our hair for maintenance every 4-6 weeks. If you are going longer between cuts, chances are your are removing more than just a trim at each visit, which is not to your benefit if you are wanting LONG hair. Find a hairstylist you can trust and who will be honest with you about the health of your hair.
5. Shampoo only when the hair is dirty
• The hair does not always need to be shampooed. Every other day is a good rule to follow. If your hair gets oily at the scalp area, use a little dry shampoo, baby powder, or powder foundation to remove the oil. Pat the product in the oily areas and brush through.
So keep that hair healthy and shiny through the summer by following these tips.
For more information on how to care for your hair you can work with Bill Schrlau and his team of stylists at Salon Space/ 510 Washington avenue/ North Haven, CT 06473/ 203-907-0434 for appointments. Or follow them on the web- www.salonspacect.com